All written responses must be handwritten in blue or black ink and double spaced. Each written response should be two-three pages in length (use only one side and double space on college ruled notebook paper).
Part One, Performance Component:
Perform the selection the marching band played in person for Mr. Hall or record a video of yourself performing and submit it to Mr. Hall. Videos may be e-mailed to: email@example.com.
Part Two, Cultural Component:
Music plays an important role in ceremonial events around the world. Many civic, athletic, national, and cultural events are support by musical units. Many of these events have music associated with them. Write an essay explaining the role music plays in a civic, athletic, national, and cultural events that are relevant to you.
Part Three, Audience Component:
Please watch the performance below and write a critique that addresses the following points. Please be sure to use specific references to the video and times that you are referencing. Be sure to reference each ensemble in the performance you are watching.
Marching fundamentals: Upper body carriage, Horn Angles, Intervals, Direction changes, etc.
- Discuss your observations on how the ensemble(s) performing dressed. How did their attire affect your view of their performance?
- Was the program selected appropriate for the ensemble(s) performing? Why or why not?
- Execution of ensemble fundamentals and consistency of fundamentals (tone quality, phrasing, dynamic contrast, intonation, sonority, articulation, etc)
- What was entertaining about each performance?
- Which performance did you like the most?What made it the most enjoyable performance?
- Which performance did you like the least?What made it the least enjoyable?